Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP a national full service law firm is currently recruiting for a Manager, Client Relations & Marketing. For more than 150 years, Blakes has proudly served many of Canada’s and the world’s leading businesses and organizations. The Firm has built a reputation during that time as both a leader in the business community and in the legal profession – leadership that continues to be recognized to this day.
Reporting to the Chair of the Vancouver Business Development Committee and the Office Managing Partner, this position works with the firm’s lawyers and practice groups to develop and implement Blakes’ marketing plan and budget in order to maximize the Firm’s marketing, sales, client retention and prospective client opportunities. The position will also liaise and coordinate with the Firm’s Chief Marketing Officer in Toronto.
- Provides support and strategic marketing direction to the Business Development Committee, practice groups and individual lawyers.
- Designs, implements and facilitates the Vancouver office’s annual marketing plan and budget, and ensures successful execution of the plan by identifying benchmarks and areas that may need attention or adjustment on a quarterly basis.
- Coordinates and manages the local implementation of national practice groups initiatives in the Vancouver office.
- Works in conjunction with the Business Development Committee and practice group leaders to ensure consistency with market position, strategy, and all internal and external communications.
- Oversees and manages the execution of key tactical components of the marketing plan including all printed material, presentations, bulletins, local advertisements, and working with agencies and vendors.
- Researches, identifies and communicates market changes, trends, opportunities and competitive threats.
- Identifies publications, organizations, events, etc., where individual lawyers, practice groups and/or the Firm should be featured.
- Identifies professional organizations, industry associations, education institutions and clients to identify leadership positions, speaking opportunities, and potential sources of referral work.
- Manages lawyer publications, directory submissions, lawyer rankings and nominations, and databases to store new deal lists.
- Develops and manages local client, target or industry knowledge repositories. Assists practice groups and lawyers to find information and utilize knowledge resources.
- Supports lawyers and manages the process to respond to request for proposals, client presentations and information requests for the Vancouver office and for national practices where appropriate.
- Designs and implements programs to enhance relations such as client events and seminars. Oversees planning and execution of educational seminars, lawyer speaking engagements, special events, panel participation and other ad hoc marketing efforts.
- Assists in the production of professional profiles and Firm advertisements.
- Evaluates and implements Firm participation in sponsorships and community programs. Research and identify new community programs, charitable events or Boards to reach appropriate target groups.
- Works with lawyers to create and execute personal business development plans that are aligned with the practice group and Firm strategy.
- Administers and manages office support of Interaction, the Firm’s client relationship management database, which includes client and prospect information, mailing list information and client event information.
- Coordinates merchandise and promotional products with suppliers.
- Reports to the Chair of the Vancouver Business Development Committee and the Vancouver Office Managing Partner. Dotted line reporting to the Director of Administration (Vancouver) and the Chief Client Relations & Marketing Officer in Toronto.
- Relates to the Business Development Committee, Partners and Associates, and the Management Team in Vancouver.
- Liaises with the Marketing Managers/Directors in other Blakes offices.
- Manages a staff of two (Marketing Specialist and a Marketing Coordinator)
The ideal candidate will have a fine-tuned working knowledge of marketing through their extensive experience as a marketing professional within a complex and challenging professional services organization where he/she has excelled in market strategy development and implementation. The candidate will also have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, be self-starting, confident, proactive and have a proven track record in successfully running a marketing department.
- Education: The candidate will possess a degree or diploma, preferably with a concentration in marketing.
- Experience: A proven track record as a marketing manager with experience in a professional service or related environment where a diverse and large internal customer group exists.
Ideally, the candidate will possess a thorough understanding of the Vancouver and BC regional business communities.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent knowledge and ability to develop, implement and communicate the marketing strategy, policies and standards in a large complex environment including working with management committees and Boards.
- Well-developed ability to research and identify market drivers, issues and trends.
- Demonstrated leadership, staff management and motivation skills.
- Ability to influence others to adopt standards with the purpose of maximizing marketing opportunities and maintaining a consistent look feel and delivery of products, services and programs.
- Proven marketing/technical expertise regarding market research and analysis techniques, positioning and targeting, branding, campaign and program development and management.
- Demonstrated ability to seek out, create and foster internal and external strategic alliances.
- A proven problem solver who can organize, control and expedite knowledge.
- Polished presentation skills; confident, strong sense of self. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Superior ability to build trust, confidence and credibility with people at all levels through accomplished organizational and interpersonal skills.
- A confident and dynamic leader who is successful at working in a fast paced collegial environment.
- Diligent and motivated. A self-starter who is respected by management and staff for their marketing knowledge and congenial nature.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a covering letter and CV detailing experience and qualifications to:
Nancy Sartène, CHRP