Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is seeking a Conflicts Clerk to join our Finance department. This position is a 13 month contract.
The Conflicts Clerk is responsible for ensuring conflict of interest is avoided between Blakes and its clients by completing conflict checks according to established policies and procedures, and providing the Firm’s legal and administrative departments with the relevant information.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing conflict information to the Firm’s legal and administrative professionals by answering telephone and/or written inquiries and responding to any issues that may arise with respect to conflicts resolution and file opening
- Ensuring Blakes employees and partners are informed of any potential conflict of interest by carrying out conflict checks upon their request and/or when a new file is opened, providing Blakes staff with the summary of findings
- Maintaining the CMS database by entering new clients and matters in a precise and timely manner, maintaining and updating related party lists and client contact information
- Completing various projects assigned by the Senior Manager, Financial Operations
- Preparing conflict reports by retrieving and summarizing relevant information from CMS upon request
- Protecting operations by keeping financial and client information confidential
- Maintaining historical records by preparing, sorting and filing documents
- Responsible for providing accurate conflicts-related information based on CMS database
- Using judgment within the Firm’s procedures and policies with assistance from a senior team member
- Must have a post-secondary education (college or university)
- Legal and/or professional industry experience is an asset
- Must have excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Must possess strong analytical skills with proven problem-solving capabilities
- Knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel is required
- Knowledge of automated accounting software is an asset
This position requires the capability to work in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment; work independently, while at the same time collaboratively with Firm members and colleagues; operate in a highly professional manner with internal and external clients; and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your application, with a cover letter and résumé by clicking here.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.