Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Billing Administrator to join the Finance department in Toronto.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Financial Operations, the Billing Administrator is responsible for the complete billing cycle from prebill generation to submission of bills into clients’ billing systems in accordance with Firm policies and procedures. The role provides exceptional billing support in a timely manner both to internal and external clients.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with partners and legal assistants to prepare client accounts in a timely manner by preparing reports, creating prebills on demand and assisting with special billing requests
- Reviewing all client accounts for accuracy and adherence to outside counsel guidelines
- Uploading the Firm’s accounts into the client’s e-billing system and managing all issues related with the uploads
- Answering questions about the billing process, invoices, billing templates and billing issues
- Analyzing monthly reports and contracts from lawyers regarding credits in WIP, unapplied matter credits, disbursements and aged WIP
- Administering e-billing implementations for new and existing clients
- Contributing to team efforts by accomplishing results necessary to meet or exceed the department’s overall objectives and improve processes and procedures
- Postsecondary education in accounting or finance
- Minimum of two years of related experience, preferably in a professional services or law firm environment
- Client-service oriented, with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of e-billing formats and systems
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize projects, manage workload and meet deadlines
- Detail oriented and resourceful with strong analytical ability
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Flexible to work overtime when necessary
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with professional services billing system (i.e., Aderant, Elite) would be considered an asset
- Problem-solving skills in order to correct invoice errors and discrepancies promptly to ensure that accounts are processed and presented to clients in a timely fashion
- Ability to adapt to various clients’ e-billing systems
- Ability to work in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.