At Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), we serve a diverse national and international client base, and our integrated office network provides clients with access to the Firm’s full spectrum of capabilities in virtually every area of business law. Blakes has offices across Canada and in New York and London.
Thanks to our clients, Blakes continues to receive a number of awards and top rankings in 2017. For the third time and second year running, Blakes is ranked as having the leading law firm brand in the Acritas Canadian Law Firm Index. We were also named Canada Law Firm of the Year in the Who’s Who Legal Awards for the ninth consecutive year and remain the top-ranked Canadian firm in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business. In addition, we were recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers by Mediacorp Canada Inc., an honour we have received seven times since 2008.
More information on Blakes is available by visiting the Firm’s website at www.blakes.com or by following us on Twitter @BlakesLaw.
Blakes has an immediate opening for a Business Development & Events Coordinator in the Vancouver office. Reporting to the Director, Client Relations & Marketing, the Business Development & Events Coordinator will provide support in a wide range of events, business development (BD) and marketing activities. In delivering client-focused services, the successful candidate will work closely with other members of the Client Relations & Marketing team to provide strategic and tactical support to various events, initiatives and projects in line with the Vancouver office’s business development strategy.
A significant component of the role involves providing logistical, creative and administrative support for client events/programs in the Vancouver office. This role also involves working with event and design teams to craft various print and electronic materials, manage the process for electronic announcements and invitations, and provide on-hand support the day of the event. The role is also responsible for assisting in the management of the Business Class Leadership Series seminar program, as well as key sponsorships/tradeshows/conferences and sporting tickets.
Primary responsibilities of the Business Development & Events Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
Events and Seminars
- Planning and executing all client events and programs, including at the Rogers Arena Executive Suite, as well as internal Firm-related meetings and retreats (logistics, venue, menus, décor, entertainment, travel, etc.)
- Planning and executing client seminars
- Working with the Creative Services team to draft invitations and the InterAction team to test and provide feedback
- Managing distribution lists, including tracking RSVPs and managing partner and client inquiries
- Working with CRM data stewards to ensure InterAction accurately reflects event information and contact updates
- Liaising with speakers for seminars and events to ensure technological requirements are booked and arranging payment for presenters
- Onsite support (welcoming and providing general information to guests during the event, managing the registration desk)
- Identifying events in the Vancouver business community that may be of interest to lawyers and clients
- Where relevant, ensuring materials are posted on blakes.com and relevant intranet sites following the event
- Monitoring, tracking and maintaining the Firm and marketing calendars
- Coordinating webpage updates for the Vancouver office (events, news, publications)
- Working with the Creative Services team to facilitate local advertising and promotion
- Updating the monthly Client Relations & Marketing calendar, reports and other marketing communication vehicles as required
- Assisting with the coordination of research requests as required
- Assisting with request for proposal (RFP) responses, including research, gathering of information, formatting, assembly and delivery of final product, and maintenance of proposal and presentation library
- Assisting with PowerPoint presentations for client events and special projects
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or equivalent or a college diploma with a focus in marketing preferred
- Two to four years in a marketing or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment, or a combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Word and InterAction
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to adhere to project deadlines and prioritize tasks accordingly
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Comfortable interacting and working collaboratively with Firm members at all levels, including the Business Development Committee (BD Committee) and the national Client Relations & Marketing team
- Strong interpersonal skills and client service skills
- Works well under pressure and thrives in a fast-paced setting with multiple projects and deadlines, with strong attention to detail
- Problem-solving and using judgment is required in this position
- Must be able to work occasional overtime for early morning seminars and evening client events
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.