Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Business Intake/Conflicts Analyst. The position will be supported through our Vancouver office, but report to our General Counsel’s Office in Toronto. This position is an 18-month contract.
The preferred hours of work for this position is 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Pacific Time), with the request to be available for overtime from time to time, as required.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- The timely execution of conflict searches and analysis of search data to ensure a thorough review of potential conflicts
- Conducting conflict of interest searches according to the Firm’s defined procedures and using the Firm’s new conflict searching software
- Defining appropriate search parameters, searching multiple databases to identify potential conflicts of interest and other risk issues such as sanctions, and preparing and curating conflict reports for the Firm’s lawyers to review
- Ensuring all relevant information is captured, recorded and maintained in accordance with defined policies and procedures in the Firm’s databases
- Providing coaching and assistance to legal assistants as needed to ensure all required information for new matter opening is captured and recorded accurately, and information for existing matters is updated in a timely manner
- Participating in ensuring policies, procedures and database structures are continuously reviewed and modified to meet changing requirements; the scope of initiatives can range from day-to-day small continuous improvements to the development of new tracking and reporting systems
- Supporting key projects and initiatives undertaken by the General Counsel’s Office as required to manage the Firm’s risk, as well as participating in all required clerical and administrative needs for effective functioning of the office
- Applying sound judgement to ensure effective review of conflicts and knowing when to escalate issues
- Three to five years of professional work experience in a law firm preferred
- Research and analytical experience
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong computer skills and demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent customer-service attitude with the ability to handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
- Impeccable organizational and time management skills, and the ability to multi-task
- Sound judgement and decision-making abilities that can be relied on by all levels of management
- Strong relationship-building skills within the department and across departments
- Positive, professional disposition and flexibility to handle regular interruptions and unexpected changes to workflow
- Team player who is willing to assist peers as needed, troubleshoot problems and participate in developing solutions.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.