Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an immediate opening for a Communications & Public Relations Specialist to join the Client Relations & Marketing department in the Toronto office. This position is an 18-month contract.
The Communications & Public Relations Specialist is responsible for seeking out media exposure opportunities by initiating PR campaigns in print, web and broadcast formats, responding to media inquiries, and assisting in media training Blakes lawyers and staff as directed by the Director, Business Development & Firm Public Relations. The Specialist will also work closely with BD, Digital and other Marketing teams to develop thought leadership content and assist with other writing assignments that support the Firm’s strategic priorities.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Working with Directors and other members of the team to seek out media exposure opportunities by initiating PR campaigns in print, web and broadcast formats
- Responding to media inquiries as required by the Director, Business Development & Firm Public Relations
- Working with the Director, Business Development & Firm Public Relations on the media training program for partners and associates
- Assisting with adjusting the Firm’s crisis communication plan as needed
- Working with the Director, Business Development & Firm Public Relations to ensure corporate messages are disseminated in a consistent manner
- Building and maintaining a network of essential media contacts, including local and national news publications, trade publications, journalists and other contacts
- Planning, researching and developing thought leadership content for blakes.com, including articles, whitepapers, infographics, Q&As, social media content, etc., while ensuring brand alignment and supporting business development efforts
- Reviewing and finalizing external client communications (i.e., bulletins and other digital content) from inception to distribution, when needed
- Assisting with the development and execution of editorial strategies and content calendars
- Helping to develop writing guidelines/best practices for external client communications
- Completing occasional writing assignments as required
- Post-secondary degree in English, journalism, communications or marketing is required
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in writing, editing or related role
- Minimum of two years of professional experience working with the media or in journalism
- Experience in the legal industry is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Diplomacy and strong interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Project management skills with ability to multitask, effectively prioritize and meet deadlines
- Thrives in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Ability to influence stakeholders
- A team player who works well independently
- Proven ability to think strategically
- Manage lawyers’ expectations while balancing Firm standards and priorities
- Identify process improvements and socialize solutions with internal stakeholders
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Comprehension of web publishing, including experience with CMS
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application with your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.