Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an opportunity for an experienced legal professional to join the General Counsel’s Office as Counsel. This position is based in our Toronto office and is a 12-month contract opportunity, providing exposure to a broad range of in-house risk management matters.
Reporting to the General Counsel, this role will support the General Counsel in managing risk on behalf of the Firm. Flexible working arrangements are available.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing, amending and approving a broad range of Firm commercial contracts including:
- Service agreements with IT-based and other suppliers
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Sponsorships and events
- Recruitment contracts
- Supporting lawyers in the review and negotiation of outside counsel guidelines and engagement letters
- Researching, analyzing and advising on legal issues relevant to the business of the Firm, including new business initiatives, such as the Firm’s Nitro program
- Developing and reviewing policies
- Reviewing, analyzing and advising on compliance matters and regulatory changes
- Collaborating with the Human Resources department and Professional Development team on training programs in relation to compliance and risk management issues
- Developing risk management precedents
- Providing support to the Client Relations & Marketing department on RFP and client questionnaire matters
- Providing support for other risk management matters, including file transfers and information security
- Identifying potential privacy law issues and liaising with the Firm’s Privacy Officer to resolve issues
- An LL.B./J.D.
- Minimum three years of legal experience, preferably in corporate/commercial or IT practice areas
- Strong drafting, negotiating and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively with various stakeholders across the Firm
Please submit your cover letter and résumé directly to our online application portal by clicking submit application, to the attention of Mary Jackson, Chief Officer, Professional Resources.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.