Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an opening for an experienced professional to join the Firm as a Counsel, Legal Solutions with a focus on Advocacy. This position will report to the Director of Knowledge & Research Services in the Toronto office and will provide support across the Firm.
The Blakes Practice Innovation, Pricing & Knowledge team is dedicated to supporting innovation in the efficient and effective delivery of exceptional legal services to our clients. The Counsel, Legal Solutions –Advocacy will work directly with leading professionals to implement best practices for service delivery in the Firm’s litigation practices. The successful applicant will also assist with the implementation of strategic knowledge management priorities across the Firm, including the implementation of legal technology and the development of automated knowledge resources where appropriate. Blakes is looking for a solution-oriented lawyer to work closely with clients and Blakes lawyers on implementing new legal processes and technology.
Responsibilities will include the following in the Firm’s business law practice areas, often in collaboration with other Firm departments:
- Contribute to firmwide knowledge management, innovation and legal technology projects
- Contribute to the delivery of “value-add” services for Firm clients
- Apply best practices from process and project management for the streamlining of legal service delivery
- Identify key practice resources to be developed and maintained, and oversee their development and maintenance, including drafting contributions
- Support Blakes communities of practice through the testing and implementation of collaborative methods and legal technology tools
Additionally, the Counsel, Legal Solutions – Advocacy will be encouraged to identify strategic knowledge initiatives for the Firm’s advocacy practices and help to develop solutions.
Education and Experience:
- At least three years of experience as a practising lawyer, preferably in a large firm or in-house legal department
Other Job Qualifications:
- Ability to drive results while working collaboratively across teams and functions
- Experience in legal knowledge management, project management, creating reusable work product or similar relevant experience
- Familiarity and comfort with information technology in a legal workplace
- Very strong organizational skills, as well as an ability to manage multiple, sometimes competing priorities
- The ability to take initiative, have good judgment and problem solve in a professional services environment
- Very strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work effectively and build consensus in team environments across departments
- Experience or training in project development and management or relevant similar experience
- An interest in how innovation, collaboration and knowledge sharing can be applied to the effective delivery of legal services
The ability to work in French would also be an asset.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé directly to our online application portal by clicking submit application, and address it to the attention of Simon Wormwell, Director of Knowledge & Research Services.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.