Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently seeking a Director, Financial Reporting, Planning ＆ Analytics to join the Finance department in the Toronto office.This opportunity is a 12-month contract position.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director, Financial Reporting, Planning ＆ Analytics will provide management decision-making information, accomplish the organization’s strategic financial objectives and maximize return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems.
As a senior member of the Finance team, this position will be responsible for identifying, documenting and ultimately implementing the ongoing accounting, planning and reporting requirements. This includes managing the monthly reporting process and quarterly and year-end reporting requirements, as well as contributing to the annual forecasting and budgeting process.
Primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Achieving Firm budget objectives nationally by developing plans, budgets, forecasts and financial results to guide management decisions; preparing budgets; analyzing variances; preparing economic studies and forecasts; and developing and enforcing planning schedules.
- Establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls, including, but not limited to, reviewing monthly variance reports, reporting on quarterly forecast, holding quarterly meetings with practice groups to review and verify the groups’ expenses, authorizing expenses, providing financial support to the entire Firm, and keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Conducting a financial analysis to identify profit improvement opportunities by studying business opportunities, assembling and analyzing historical financial data, identifying trends, providing forecast models, explaining processes and techniques, and recommending courses of action.
- Securing financing by tracking, measuring, evaluating and forecasting financial results, identifying needs and trends, and analyzing capital needs.
- Maintaining office and information services by studying Firm requirements and ensuring complete, accurate and timely reporting of the Firm’s financial position based on the relevant reporting cycle.
- Complying with regulatory requirements by ensuring appropriate finance controls are in place and adhered to, and guiding internal actions by developing and enforcing policies and procedures to drive continuous improvement.
- Complying with federal and provincial financial and legal requirements by preparing tax returns and monthly tax filings, following up with the government institutions, researching and monitoring existing and new legislations, anticipating future legislation, enforcing compliance to the requirements, filing financial reports, and advising Firm management on needed action (includes GST and QST filings).
- Contributing to the team effort by mentoring and coaching direct reports to ensure work is completed correctly and in a timely manner, providing leadership and direction to the department leaders on financial management practices, fostering an environment of teamwork and collaboration within and among the other departments, and providing support to the Finance team in the other offices.
- Leading various administrative responsibilities, including, but not limited to, handling Firm membership fees; overseeing VISA program, insurance policies and renewals, pension filing, reporting, valuations and audits; conducting and providing information to various auditors (internal, external, client, compliance and regulator); managing cash flows and borrowings; managing banking and vendor relationships; and participating in special projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or any business-related field with an accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA)
- Seven to 10 years of progressive management experience
- Experience in budget development, cost accounting, analysis and project management
- Experience within a professional services environment (essential)
- Experience with Aderant in a law firm setting (preferable)
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to quickly grasp complex assignments and to plan, organize, schedule and deliver within tight deadlines in a high-pressure environment
- Aptitude for structuring and processing complex qualitative and quantitative data with excellent attention to detail, while still able to maintain a big picture perspective
- Proactive problem-solver and committed to delivering a high level of client satisfaction with proven drive for results, while constantly problem-solving and engaging the commitment of others
- Strong people management and leadership skills with the ability to work independently and across the Firm at all levels
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills
- Ability to use software to improve process and reporting
- Experience in report generation tools such as SQL Reporting or MS Access
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
All interested candidates should submit their cover letter and résumé through our online application portal by clicking submit application.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.