Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently seeking a Human Resources Generalist to join the Human Resources department in the Toronto office.
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing not only exceptional client experiences, but also an exceptional experience for all employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Human Resources & Legal Support, the Human Resources Generalist will provide support to business leaders and employees in the interpretation and application of HR policies and practices. This position will guide leaders in managing employee relations issues while maintaining the appropriate balance between business requirements and employee advocacy.
Primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting managers and employees in navigating each stage of the employment lifecycle, from onboarding to performance and development, and termination/retirement. This includes coaching, counselling and the preparation of required documentation
- Ensuring organization compliance with established policies, guidelines and legal requirements
- Proactively helping to maintain strong, positive and rewarding relationships with employees by managing all aspects of employee relations, including coaching and conflict resolution that effectively balances the needs of both the employee(s) and the Firm
- Leading and supporting managers and employees through key annual processes such as performance reviews, development reviews/succession planning, pay review and workforce planning/budgeting
- Participating as part of the broader HR team in the design, development and implementation of new or revised programs and policies
- Working with the Pensions, HRIS & Benefits Administrator on short-term and long-term employee absences and assisting with the facilitation of Return to Work programs
- Coordinating the Coop Student Mentor Program and facilitating the onboarding, training and feedback sessions throughout the year for both students and mentors
- University/college post-secondary degree in an area of specialty (Business, Human Resource Management, Psychology, Organizational Behaviour or other related field)
- CHRP designation (or working towards)
- A minimum of five years of experience in Human Resources with a focus on employee relations
- Experience in a legal firm or professional services environment will be considered an asset
- Exceptional problem-solving and decision-making abilities with demonstrated aptitude to manage in a confidential and sensitive context
- Active listening and demonstrated ability to build rapport and mutually respectful relationships at all levels within the organization
- Knowledge of HR policies and practices, both internal and market norms
- Strong customer-service orientation, coaching and influencing skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive employee issues, including mediation and diplomacy skills to handle more complex work issues
- Collaborative and creative approach to problem solving and conflict resolution
- Knowledge of provincial employment/labour standards legislation and common law precedents
- Ability to think outside the box
- Proficiency in MS Office tools
All interested candidates should submit their cover letter and résumé through our online application portal by clicking submit application.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.