Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an immediate opening for a Manager, Library & Legal Research to join the Practice Innovation team.
This is a national role and an opportunity to help define the changes needed to ensure the library and research teams continue to deliver the information and support needed by the Firm. The Manager, Library & Legal Research will oversee all library and research services functions and ensure efficient and effective delivery of services. The successful candidate will develop strong working relationships with the Firm’s lawyers with the view to understanding the practice and the Firm’s strategic direction and, in turn, helping to build and acquire the resources and tools needed to continue evolving the effectiveness of the group.
Applicants located outside of the Toronto area will be considered.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing all aspects of the Library & Legal Research team, including hiring, training, workload and professional development
- Ensuring delivery of timely, high-quality, focused and complex legal, government and business research services
- Assisting the Head of Practice Innovation with the development of strategic objectives for the department
- Having familiarity with major online research platforms, including Quicklaw, Lexis, Westlaw Canada, Westlaw International, CCH Online and Thomson Carswell databases
- Working with practice group and administrative leaders to ensure the Library & Legal Research team continues to adapt services to the changing needs of the Firm
- Ensuring that the print and digital resource collections and related services meet the continually evolving needs of the practice and administrative departments by working with the Library Resources & Systems Manager, the Knowledge Management team and practice group designees to evaluate new and existing resources for inclusion or removal from the collections
- MLS, MISt, MI or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution
- JD. or LL.B. is an asset
- Minimum of five to seven years of legal research and reference experience in a law library
- Experience managing a team in a high-pressure business environment
- Bilingual (English/French) capability would be considered an asset
- Strong people management skills, including experience with reviewing processes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the desire to know the Firm’s lawyers and business
- Expert knowledge of the Canadian legal system (legislative, judicial and executive), areas and sources of law, court procedure, and the Parliamentary and legislative processes
- Familiarity with the law, legal systems and legal proceedings in the United States, the European Union, the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth jurisdictions
- In-depth knowledge of legal research methodology and legal information sources
- Advanced online research skills, including knowledge of content and functionality of different resources, knowledge of legal taxonomy and the ability to perform sophisticated and complex searches
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure, juggle competing priorities for the team and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application with your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.