Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an immediate opening for a Receptionist/Switchboard Operator to join the Boardroom Services team in the Toronto office. This position is a six-month contract with the possibility of turning into a permanent position. The required hours of work for this position are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Reporting to the Manager of Catering and Boardroom Services, this position will be responsible for assisting visitors of the Firm by greeting, welcoming and directing them to the appropriate boardrooms, notifying Firm personnel of visitors’ arrival, and maintaining security and the telecommunications system. The Receptionist/Switchboard Operator will also operate telephone switchboards and consoles to connect, hold and transfer telephone calls, and provide information to clients or refer them to appropriate contacts within the Firm.
Receptionist Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcoming visitors by greeting them, notifying lawyers and/or assistants of client arrivals, answering or referring inquiries, providing boardroom location instructions and passing on client requests to the technical assistants, etc.
- Maintaining security by administering passcard procedures (i.e., issuing temporary passcards; retrieving forgotten, lost or damaged cards, etc.); recording visitors in the visitors log software and following Blakes security procedures
- Assisting with clerical/administrative duties where required by clients, i.e., photocopying, scanning, etc.
- Answering internal and external phone calls, directing calls to the appropriate people and answering any inquiries or redirecting questions to the appropriate individuals
- Communicating issues relating to the Boardroom Services operations to the appropriate people
- Providing backup to the Boardroom Services team by assisting with bookings emails and/or phone calls and switchboard where needed and detailed below
Switchboard Operator Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining external and internal communications and inquiries by answering internal and external phone calls, directing calls to the appropriate people, and answering any inquiries or redirecting questions to the appropriate individuals
- Accurately and efficiently handle all cold calls received by taking down information and passing it on to the appropriate department
- High school education
- Preferably a minimum of one-year of experience in a receptionist and/or switchboard operator function
- Legal or professional services experience is considered an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanour and strong customer-service skills
- Ability to complete often competing tasks to ensure clients expectations are met and exceeded
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and résumé to our online application portal by clicking here.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.