Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Senior Financial Analyst to join the Finance department in Toronto.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Reporting, Planning & Analysis, this role is responsible for providing financial and data support to various stakeholders by applying their skills in developing and managing billing rates, financial models, scenario analyses, benchmarking analyses, management reports, data analyses and business intelligence to analyze, report and advise on a variety of business and client needs within the organization.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
Developing and Delivering Complex Financial Analyses, Modes and Metrics
- Researching, extracting and manipulating complex financial data from all relevant sources to build financial models, assess impact on key metrics and perform sensitivity analyses
- Preparing recommendations based on data summaries, trend analyses, financial analyses and business analyses
- Preparing information and reports for the analysis of practice-area experience, assessment of rate adequacy/profitability by industry, sector and practice area
- Providing financial and BI tool support by generating reports using data analysis and various ad-hoc initiatives
Monitoring and Managing Industry Benchmarking
- Administering and managing industry benchmarking-survey data loading and mapping process
- Monitoring peer group trends and preparing monthly reports
Strategic Initiatives Support
- Participating in strategic decision-making for improving the profitability of the business by preparing the necessary data and analyses to inform decision-making
- Understanding how the strategies in place impact the business and finding areas of opportunity by using competitive insights and historical trend/experience to positively impact results
- Liaising with stakeholders across the Firm (partners, pricing, etc.) regarding fee proposals, fee analyses and other requests as needed
Developing and Monitoring Billing Rates
- Responsible for reviewing and developing rates and managing various reporting templates to generate KPIs for management and the Rate Committee on a regular basis
Monitoring Data Quality
- Identifying, assessing and addressing any data-quality issues or anomalies, finding areas for increased efficiencies and recommending alternatives or improvements
Continuous Improvement of Processes and Procedures
- Finding areas for increased efficiencies and recommend alternatives or improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, mathematics, business, actuarial science, information sciences or similar discipline is required
- CPA, CFA or MBA is preferred
- Minimum of five years of analytical or relevant experience working in a similar capacity at another professional services firm/partnership
- Legal industry experience would be considered an asset
- Meticulous attention to detail in order to provide accurate data and report to end users
- Excellent financial analysis, modelling and problem-solving skills are required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to work effectively with upper management (partners, various departments and offices), to explain and present financial data and results
- Strong understanding of various financial methodologies and what approach to use in various scenarios
- Self-motivated individual with exceptional time management and organizational skills with a proactive approach to continuously look for efficiencies and improvements
- Ability to work independently under pressure to manage multiple deadlines, produce a high quality and quantity of work product
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional work teams and efficiently multi-task and prioritize in order to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to clearly articulate complex data models, develop and deliver presentations, work with spreadsheets and run or participate in meetings
- High level of proficiency in MS Office; experience with Aderant and other databases (i.e., SQL) would be a strong asset
- Knowledge of data visualization tools, data warehouse, BI tools, Visual Basic (Macros) and reporting applications is a plus
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are:
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.