Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an immediate opening for a Solution Architect to join the Information Technology team in the Toronto office.
Reporting to the Director, Infrastructure & Solution Delivery, the successful candidate will be responsible for analyzing current and future solution requirements to develop technical architectures and road maps that are aligned with client needs and promote the enhancement of Firm objectives.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
Accountable for Solution Architecture:
- Providing architectures and solutions to IT projects and initiatives
- Evaluating RFPs and scoring RFP submissions
- Developing reference architectures, including security requirements in support of IT teams
- Working with the Firm to assess business requirements for new solutions, redesigns and performance-related issues
- Performing cost-benefit analysis of projects and solutions in collaboration with The Project Services team (TPS) and the Firm
- Liaising between technical SMEs, TPS and vendors for best technical solutions to meet the Firm’s requirements while managing projects with vendor resources
- Partnering with other Solution Architects to provide consensus-based scalable and adaptable architectural solutions
- Managing and facilitating change requests to evaluate project proposals for architectural fit
Accountable for Capacity Management:
- Assessing current and future end-to-end capacity, capabilities and requirements
- Evaluating IT solutions to understand their impact to existing and future solutions and end-users
- Providing analytical data to Projects, Operations and cross-functional IT teams and the business to assist with the development of IT solution architectures
Accountable for Continuous Improvement:
- Baselining current environment for solutions and technologies
- Regularly reviewing technology services to find opportunities for operating efficiencies (e.g., budget and performance)
- Proactively looking for architecture redesign opportunities
- Providing oversight and governance for all technology solutions
- Providing design leadership and day-to-day direction to the IT teams to ensure that projects meet business objectives
- Collaborating with other architects and IT teams to ensure optimal leverage of existing software and effective integration with common systems
- Working with management to recommend policies, processes and procedures to constantly improve operations
- Assisting management in evaluating emerging client needs and proposing effective and feasible solutions
- Analyzing technology industry and market trends to determine any potential impacts
- Overseeing the development, testing and implementation of custom solutions and application interfaces
- Understanding business needs of the Firm and designing the best software solutions to support those requirements and processes
- Designing the framework and architecture of new solutions and interaction between systems
- Ensuring that all solutions (composed of many infrastructure elements and software) work well with each other
- Monitoring the whole system and understanding all interactions between components on any given level of abstraction, including data flow
- Designing solutions for non-functional requirements such as performance, security, logging, etc.
- Motivating the team for discussion and making decisions together regarding architecture
- Understanding and taking into account the needs of all roles involved in the project, including end-users, project sponsor, technical team and QA
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technologies or related field, or an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training
- Minimum of five years of experience in an infrastructure architecture role
- Industry-standard certification is preferred
- Experience and proficiency in the practical application and use of various software development models
- Strong understanding of how to create an overall architecture that combines disparate systems (internal, external and custom) into effective, flexible, and secure systems
- Effectively manage and prioritize multiple development projects while maintaining scheduling commitments and budget constraints
- Strong analytical, design, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate with customers, employees, and senior management that may or may not be as versed in technical language
- Strategic thinking with the ability to understand and discuss both business and technology concepts
- Possess a comprehensive view of technology with broad experience across various levels of IT and the ability to see the big picture
- Vendor management and principled negotiation skills
- Ability to resolve complex problems under pressure and within the allotted time
- Strong subject-matter technical expertise in Office 365 (Teams, Office Suite, SharePoint Online, OneDrive, CAP, etc.), cloud computing (Azure), Windows desktop operating systems (Windows 7, 8, 10, etc.), server and desktop virtualization (VMware), Citrix, Microsoft Office Suite add-ins and application virtualization technologies (App-V)
- Working knowledge and a general understanding of legal applications, other end-user applications (boardroom booking software, workshare, etc.), mobile technologies, server administration (Windows and Linux servers), networking (wireless and VPN), security (next-generation firewalls and security standards, i.e., ISO 27001, SOC 2, etc.), network access control, multi-factor authentication, Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) and document management systems (OpenText eDocs, iManage or NetDocs)
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application with your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development, and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities, and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request an accommodation.